Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chocolate Milk Anyone?


Grocery shopping with my nieces is one of the things I treasure of leisurely weekends. At ages three and six, they are so lively and see the best in everything. With their imagination a boring trip to the grocery store can turn into a catwalk down the frozen food aisle! They both know they have my heart strings and since I do not have kids of my own, they have the run of the house. LOL

Last Saturday was no exception – I’m sure you know it is a reason for the title. My two girls really noticed the tasty treats I placed in the cart. Needless to say the oohs and aahs ensued. They wanted to come over auntie’s house now for sure. With the “Nintendo Wii” and cookies – it is on!

The three year old decided she wanted to let me know just how much she liked the food I placed in the cart. When eggs went in, she said, “Ooh I like eggs.” Ice cream, “I like ice cream.” With grapes, “I like grapes.” By the time I came to the diary case and picked up the chocolate milk she wanted to make a bargain. She first wanted to see what type of chocolate milk I picked up to see how to approach the table. When she saw that I selected a small case with four bottles, she then slid in and dropped the hints, “I LOVE chocolate milk.” I begin to smile because I knew where it was going. She continued, “May I have one for grandma’s house?” Of course I said yes, but I told her you must remind me when I get to the house so you can take one with you.

Well would you know it, when we all arrived to my house later that evening, I begin place the bags on the kitchen counter and she waited until I placed everything in its proper place then she said, “Are you going to drink your chocolate milk now? I’ll share mines with you.” (She said mines, so cute!) So that day my little Kiah received two bottles of chocolate milk instead of just one, all because of how sweetly she reminded me not to forget my promise.

Since Thanksgiving is reflective on giving thanks and spending time with your loved ones, it is important to reflect on just how much you have given of yourself and how much more you can do. Not in selfishness, but out of love and wanting. Take the time this week to mediate on some of the promises you have made. Did you share your chocolate milk? If not, how can you change that?

If there is something you do to change the no into a yes, go for it! Don’t forget, cookies thrown in may help sweeten the deal.

Happy Thanksgiving! :-)

For further reading, check out:

Ecclesiastes 5:4-7

Psalm 119:9

Matthew 5:33-37

No comments:

Post a Comment